Sunday, November 23, 2014

Using Chlorohydroquinone in Photographic Formulas.

Chlorohydroquinone, (Mono-Chloro Hydroquinone) is a sub halogen of Hydroquinone. It was discovered and invented by Julius Hauff and Luppe Cramer, in 1898. And made available commercially in 1899.

Hauff and Cramer called their new invention "Adurol". Yet, there is also a similar photo developer known as Mono-Bromide Hydroquinone, which was discovered and invented by Schering. It too, goes by the name of "Adurol".

In the BJP of 1914, Lumiere and Seyewetz publish their findings that Mono-Bromide-Hydroquinone, was even more energetic than Mono-Chloride Hydroquinone. Yet in my numerous searches,  I could not fine any sources that sold Mono-Bromide-Hydroquinone ("Adurol"), here in the United States.

I have often spoken with many photo hobbyist that have shown great interest in the use of "Adurol", but they have also stated that they were unable to find any primary support or good information on the Web that could assist them.

But Chlorohydroquinone (Mono-Chloro Hydroquinone) is a sub halogen of Hydroquinone, can now be purchased on "Ebay", by doing a search under "chlorohydroquinone".

In the past,  there were dozens of photo developers that once used Adurol. One of the most popular being Edwal FG7.

 I have been informed by  others, (thou I have not been able to check out the information through my research), that "Adurol" has been used in many popular photographic formulas in the past, yet never got mention in the formula write ups and reviews.

Yet it has taken me about 3 years, through on and off again studies and testing of the three formulas I am listing. They are very good developers, and should be given a chance to shine on their own merits.

As I stated before, I recommend that you have some skills and experince in the art of photographic chemistry, before you attempt to make and use these formulas. And also, that you fully understand the use and handling of chemicals and film developers; and that you employ all chemical handling and safety rules.

I post no development times per say, and all responsibilities rest with the user. You must be 18 years or older to use these formulas and you accept all liabilities.


 Developer # 1


Chemical
Amount
Units
Water (125°F/52°C)
750
ml
4-Aminophenol HCI 
4.0
g
Potassium Metabisulfite
90.0
g
Adurol/Chlorohyroquinone 
5.0
g
Borax
          4.0
g
Glycin
        11.0
g



Cold water to make
1000
ml


 Developer # 2


Chemical
Amount
Units
Water (125°F/52°C)
750
ml
Phenidone
.3
g
Sodium Sulfite
100.0
g
Adurol/Chlorohyroquinone  
5.0
g
Borax
          4.0
g
Glycin
       11.0
g



Cold water to make
1000



 Developer # 3


Chemical
Amount
Units
Water (125°F/52°C)
750
ml
Pyrocatechol  
5.0
g
Sodium Sulfite (dessic)
100.0
g
Adurol/Chlorohyroquinone  
4.0
g
Borax
          4.0
g
Glycin 
          7.0
g



Cold water to make
1000
ml



Mix all three formulas in the order given. In the third formula, the Glycin must be added after the Borax, for easier mixing, to allow the Glycin to dissolve properly.

The following formula was given to me as that of FG7. I have not tried it yet. Because I was not a fan of that developer. George Dellish (the person who gave me a copy of it), stated that he got it from a fellow photo club member around 1960 or 61, who had worked at Edwal Labs.



 Edwal FG7 Clone


Chemical
Amount
Units
Water (125°F/52°C)
750
ml
Metol
2.5
g
Sodium Sulfite (dessic)
100.0
g
PPD HCI
4.0
g
Chlorohydroquinone
          4.0
g
Borax
         2.0
g
Glycin
3.0
g
Cold water to make
1000
ml


I will one day try this formula. I have not at this time done so. I myself, do use some very good Sodium Sulfite product, that I get from a swinning pool supply store. It is very very pure, @ 98% pure "Food Grade". So check out your local pool supplier, because this formula requires a very good Sodium Sulfite.

I would replace the Borax with 1 to 1.5 or 2 grams of Sodium Metaborate. Dilute it 1.5 oz. to 16 oz of water, starting at 12 minutes, using a fresh harden fixer. And experiment from there, until I get what I wanted.


Good Luck and Thank U


KennyE




No comments:

Post a Comment